Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Bacon and Cheese Quiche




A few days ago, I was feeling like I was in a dinner rut. I made the same few things or we would go out to eat. I asked Brian what I should make for dinners before I went grocery shopping and he gave me the same few dishes that I generally make. He couldn't really think of anything else.

So, I went searching for new ideas, and I stumbled upon Bacon and Cheese Quiche. This is probably not the most healthy of recipes, but it was definitely delicious and even Carlee gobbled it up.

Here is what you need:

1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
1 tbsp butter
12 bacon slices crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
4 eggs
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 tsp salt (optional)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Put the pie crust into a pie plate. Spread the butter on the crust (I put my butter in the microwave on defrost for about a minute to make it more pliable). Sprinkle the bacon crumbles and cheese into the pie plate. Beat the eggs, cream and salt and pour into the pie plate. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees and then turn the oven down to 325 degrees and continue to bake for 40 more minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and eat.

Cooking bacon isn't something I'm really good at. I got out a pan and started pan frying half the package and it was taking forever. While the first 6 pieces were slowly cooking, I decided to microwave the rest. It was so darn easy and those pieces crumbled a million times better. I put the bacon slices in between two paper towels on a microwave safe plate and microwaved for 5 minutes. So easy! To crumble the bacon, I put it in a Ziploc bag and just crunched it. I thought about letting Carlee do it for me, but she would have tried to eat the bag...

Oh and cooling for 10 minutes is so very important. The eggs and cream need that time to set. I was hungry and impatient, so I cut right into it and it was very runny. A few minutes later, it was more solid.

Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

Brian and Lisa said...

And I said "optional" on the salt because I almost felt that the bacon offered enough of that salty flavor and that the salt was just a little bit overkill. Brian said the salt was just fine and he wouldn't have changed a thing.