Monday, October 25, 2010

Spinach Artichoke Dip

My husband and I both love Spinach Artichoke Dip. On Saturday, we got some fresh spinach in our Bountiful Basket (bountifulbaskets.org) and decided to attempt making some. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Ingredients:
1 package cream cheese (I used fat free)
1 14oz can artichoke hearts drained and chopped
1/2 cup spinach rinsed and chopped
1/4 cup mayonaise (I used low fat)
1/2 cup parmesan, romano and asiago cheese (the recipe called for 1/4 cup of parmesan and 1/4 cup of romano, but I couldn't find romano at the store, but I did find a mixture of the three. It turned out though)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil (I am going to try just 1/4 teaspoon next time because it was a little heavy on the basil taste...)
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese

Take the cream cheese out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. If you aren't patient, let it sit on the counter while you chop the spinach and artichoke hearts and then put the cream cheese in the crock pot on low. It worked for me. :) Mix the cream cheese, mayonaise, cheese, garlic salt and basil together. Add in the chopped spinach and artichoke hearts. Mix it all together and leave it in the crock pot on high for about half an hour. Serve with toasted bread or chips. We ate it with Breton Multigrain crackers from Costco, but I'm thinking Club crackers would taste good too. :)

If you aren't a fan of crock pots, you could also spray a pan with cooking spray, pour the dip in and top it with mozzarella cheese. Bake it at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the top is browned. The crock pot seemed so much easier to me though.

ENJOY!!!

No comments: