Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pecan Pie


I'm not a fan of pie in general (except the pizza and chocolate varieties), but somehow, I got roped into making pies for Thanksgiving this year. Well, I actually know how it happened. I wanted to make a pumpkin pie for my husband and had my mom show me how to process a pumpkin so that I had the meat of the pumpkin to use for the pie. It was a few weeks before Thanksgiving when she helped me, so she assigned me desserts. I was going to just stick with pumpkin pie and something I could stand, but then the requests came: Apple and Pecan. Well, anyway, here is the super easy recipe I used for Pecan pie.

1 unbaked pie crust (you can use store bought or make your own)
3 eggs
1 cup dark corn syrup (the dark Karo syrup has a measuring line on the bottle now. Super convenient and easy to measure this sticky stuff!)
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup pecan halves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together eggs, corn syrup, white sugar, butter and vanilla. Dump the pecans in the bottom of the pie crust. Pour the mixture in (the pecans actually rise to the top of the gunk - it is pretty neat). Bake for an hour or until a knife inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean. Voila! Pecan pie.

For CHOCOLATE Pecan Pie, click here.

No comments: