Thursday, January 10, 2013

Potato Skins

When I was invited (okay, I invited myself) to a friend's house for the BCS Championship game, I decided that potato skins would be the perfect thing to bring to the party.  I had a whole sack of potatoes sitting on my counter just begging to be used.  These were pretty easy and I think they turned out pretty good.

Here is what you need:

Russet Potaotes
Butter
Seasoned Salt
Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
*Bacon, cooked and crumbled
*Sour Cream
Chives, chopped

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Wash as many potatoes as you would like to make (each potato makes 2 skins).  Poke the potatoes with a fork and lightly grease them (I just used some butter).  Bake them for about 45 minutes.  Take them out and let them cool.  When they are cool (about 15 minutes), cut them in half long ways and scoop the insides out leaving a thin layer of potato along the inside of the skin.  Brush the inside and outside with melted butter.  Put the potato skins on a greased cookie sheet.  Sprinkle seasoned salt and shredded parmesan inside each potato half.  Bake for about 8 minutes or until bubbly inside.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon in each potato.  Bake for another 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  Top with a dollop of sour cream and chives and enjoy.

Healthier alternatives would be turkey bacon and fat free sour cream.  I used these and heard things like "I couldn't even tell this was turkey bacon".  Apparently, they taste just as unhealthy with turkey bacon, but you save a few calories.

1 comment: