Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hawaiian Haystack


I made Hawaiian Haystack for dinner tonight. I will add a picture later as I did not take a picture of it before I ate it. Thank goodness for leftovers!

Ingredients:

2 chicken breast
3/4 cups rice (raw)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1 can pineapple chunks
Shredded cheese
Chow mein noodles

Cook the chicken breasts however you prefer. At my mom's suggestion, I boiled them in water. I added salt to the water, but you can also add garlic salt or chicken boullion to the water. After the chicken is cooked, shred it or cut it into small chunks. Cook the rice in 1 1/2 cups of water. If you boil the chicken, you can use the chicken broth to cook the rice for flavor. While the rice is cooking, combine the can of soup with 1/2 cup of milk and heat it up. Once it is heated, stir in the cooked rice and add the chicken. Serve in a bowl. Top with shredded cheese, pineapple and chow mein noodles if desired. I have had it with tomotoes on top too. It has been a while since I have used tomatoes to top it off, but I remember it being good.

I am a very picky eater and I ate this way back in the day when I was just a little kid. There really isn't anything not to like in it. It is very filling too, so a little goes a long way. It reheats very well too.

Enjoy!

~Lisa

2 comments:

Steph said...

Yummy, I might have to try that this week.

Lisa said...

You should. It is good and pretty easy. If I can make it, I'm sure you can. :)