Monday, December 15, 2008

Broccoli Potato Soup


I got this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens a few months ago. I was very surprised when I made it and it came out good. This was my first attempt at making soup from scratch and it has quickly become on of our favorites.
-2 medium red potatoes, chopped (I just used regular potatoes because that's all I had)
-1 14 oz can chicken broth
-3 cups of small broccoli florets
-2 cups of milk
-3 tbsp all purpose flour
-2 cups smoked Gouda cheese, shredded (8 oz)
-In large sauce pan combine potatoes and broth. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 8 minutes. Mash slightly. Add broccoli and milk; bring just to simmering
-In medium bowl toss flour with cheese; gradually add to soup, stirring cheese until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves 4
Now just a hint, usually I get the Gouda at Safeway because that is where I normally shop, but last night we decided to walk to Fry's and get it. Well the cheese is like a $1.50 less at Safeway then Fry's and it is a better quality. This recipe surprised me how easy it was especially since it is from Better Homes and Gardens. It would also be great served in a bread bowl. Yummy!!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

This sounds really yummy! If it wasn't in the 80's today, this would have been perfect for dinner. I ate ice cream instead. LOL

Anonymous said...

I totally heart soup, I'll have to try it out!